The Foundation Manager will study each grant request, conduct informal independent investigations and meet, where appropriate, with representatives of the organizations.
The grant proposal summary and cover letter, along with the Manager’s independent study will be presented to the Foundation’s Grant Committee. That Committee makes the final decision as to the merit of each grant request and the availability of funds.
Criteria to be considered will include:
- the seriousness of problem being addressed
- clarity of the project’s goals and objectives
- the potential for success
- ability to secure funding from other sources
- board participation and community support
- availability of Foundation funds
- Grant application deadline is August 1 each year.
- Grants are made for charitable purposes to non-profit, tax exempt organizations primarily in Laclede and Howell Counties. However, grants may be awarded to organizations nationally and internationally.
- The Foundation is interested in grants for “pilot projects” that are both needed and have good chances for success.
- Grant requests will be encouraged for needed projects, unique in character, which do not duplicate existing services.
- Organizations may submit one application during a calendar year.
- The Foundation does not make grants to individuals, although assistance ultimately benefits individuals.
- Qualified organizations seeking grant support may call and discuss the proposed project prior to submitting a proposal
The Heuer Foundation grants are concentrated in several broad areas of need:
- Educational with emphasis on health scholarships
- Broad national health issues
Within these general areas, the Foundation seeks to support existing as well as start-up programs that meet needs of disadvantaged youth and their families. In addition, the Foundation proposes to assist programs that increase the quality of life for senior citizens.
The Foundation considers applications only from nonprofit organizations holding a valid 501(c)(3) exemption letter from the Internal Revenue Service.